1. All contestants must be at least 21 years of age. If contestant is found to be under 21 they could be disqualified at our discretion.
2. Every contestant is required to submit a YouTube or Vimeo Video online. You can also submit your premium TheComicList.com profile link. Your video will not be accepted any other way.
3. In The Main Event contestant will be given 5, 8, 11 or 25 minutes of stage time. Stage time is determined by which round in the contest the comic is performing.
In the Satellites, each contestant will be given 7 minutes of stage time. In the second to last show with the top six comics, each contestant will be given 11 minutes of stage time. In the last show with the top three comics, each contestant will be given 25 minutes of stage time.
In the Wildcard shows in The Main Event and the Satellites, each contestant will be given 5 minutes of stage time.
Comics will be given a light from the back of the room when they have 1 minute left of stage time. This is to let them know to wrap it up. When you reach your stage time, you’ll be given the light again. This means to say “Goodnight!” and head off the stage. If you continue, not only could you be disqualified from the contest, it reflects very negatively on your professionalism to the people who book the clubs that you want to work for.
4. The judges may deduct points from those contestants who are being too vulgar or who have gone over their stage time. You’ll do much better in the eyes of the judges, as well as the club, if you can be funny without being too dirty. Challenge yourself to write clever and clean. It’ll benefit you in the long run.
5. There will be three judges grading each contestant on the following three categories:
Originality (10 points) – When you’re writing, think about stuff that is personal to you. Don’t write about how old the greeters at Wal-Mart are. Write about things that you think no other comic has written about. And if you do use a common topic, try to present your own, different perspective on it. And for the love of God, NEVER USE ANOTHER COMIC’S MATERIAL OR JOKES YOU’VE SEEN ON THE INTERNET. This is just about the worst mistake you can ever make.
Stage Presence (10 points) – Here, the judges will decide how comfortable you seemed on stage. Did you address the entire audience? Were you looking up at the ceiling or down at the floor the whole time?
Overall Performance (10 points) – Did the audience like you? Were you too dirty? Did you go over your time? These are the things the judges will think about when they score you in this category.
6. This gives you a total of 30 possible points from each judge. We will take the total score for each contestant and combine it with the audience vote.
7. Audience Voting – Every audience member will be able to vote for each comic that evening. Whichever comic gets the most votes will have 5 points added to his/her final score. The comic with the second most votes will have 4 points added to his/her final score. Third Place gets 3 points, Fourth Place gets 2 points, and Fifth Place gets 1 point added to their final score.
8. At each show, the contestant with the highest combined score will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the audience vote will be discarded and only the three judges’ scores will be used. If there is still a tie score for First Place, then the 3 judges will be asked to pick a winner to break the tie.
9. Each contestant will be required to pay a registration fee. This fee will go up on different dates for The Main Event and for the Satellites. The registration fee is non-refundable. If a Satellite or WSOC Showcase gets cancelled or moved, no refunds will be given for any reason. If The Main Event date is moved, no refunds will be given. If The Main Event of The World Series of Comedy is cancelled for any reason, your registration fee will be transferred to a one-year premium plan profile membership on The Comic List website, a $100 value. If you already have a plus or premium plan membership on The Comic List, your profile membership will be extended for another year.
10. Registration for The Main Event will be closed on August 16. Registration for the festival will remain open until September 26. Registration for Satellites will close 20 to 30 days prior to each event.
11. Contestants that have made it into the contest will have 3 to 4 days to confirm their spot in the contest for the Satellites and 3 to 4 days for The Main Event. Failing to confirm means that your spot is given to the next comic in line to move up.
12. The Main Event contest will have spots for 101 contestants. Each Satellite contest will have spots for 40 contestants. The first round in The Main Event and the Satellites will be Wildcard shows. Contestants will be split up as evenly as possible in each show.
13. Contestants’ names will be placed in a hat and picked to determine what night and what order in the contest they will perform. This will be done before the list of contestants who have made it is posted on the website.
14. First Round: The Main Event
Wildcard Monday Shows, 3 shows 15 contestants will perform in each show. Each contestant will be given 5 minutes of stage time. The 1st and 2nd Place contestants from each show will advance to the second round. The top two Third Place winners will also advance, for a total of 8 comics moving on to the second round.
Tuesday - 2 shows, 8 contestants in each show. The 1st & 2nd Place contestant from each show will advance to Quarter-Finals.
Wednesday - 2 shows, 8 contestants in each show. The 1st & 2nd Place contestant from each show will advance to Quarter-Finals.
Thursday - 2 shows, 8 contestants in each show. The 1st & 2nd Place contestant from each show will advance to Quarter-Finals.
Friday - 2 shows, 8 contestants in each show. The 1st & 2nd Place contestant from each show will advance to Quarter-Finals.
Friday 3rd Show - 8 contestants in this show. The 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place contestant from this show will advance to Semi-Finals
Saturday 1st Show - 8 contestants in this show. The 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place contestant from this show will advance to Semi-Finals
Saturday 2nd Show - 6 contestants in this show. The 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place contestant from this show will advance to Finals
Saturday 3rd Show - The overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners will be decided.
15. First Round: Satellites
Wildcard Wednesday Show, 1 show, 16 contestants will perform. Each contestant will be given 5 minutes of stage time. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place contestants will advance to the second round.
Thursday - 1 show, 9 contestants in the show. The 1st and 2nd Place contestant will advance to Semi-Finals.
Friday - 2 shows, 9 contestants in each show. The 1st and 2nd Place contestant from each show will advance to Semi-Finals.
Saturday 1st Show - 6 contestants will perform in this show. The 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place contestant from this show will advance to Finals
Saturday 2nd Show - The overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners will be decided.
16. Prizes: The Main Event
1st Place - At least 30 weeks of paid feature work from the comedy clubs that are part of The World Series of Comedy.
2nd Place - Working on providing as many weeks of feature work as we can get. Should be at least 5 weeks.
3rd Place - Working on providing as many weeks of feature work as we can get. Should be at least 2 weeks.
17. Prizes: Satellites
1st Place - Direct Entry Into the Second Round of The Main Event. Plus a paid feature week at the Satellite hosting club.
2nd Place - Direct Entry Into the Wildcard Round of The Main Event
3rd Place - Direct Entry Into the Wildcard Round of The Main Event
18. Decisions of the judges are final. Any contestant who attempts to argue with the judges or staff may be disqualified from The World Series of Comedy.
19. The World Series of Comedy and other sponsors associated with contest will not be held responsible for any problems that arise as a result of sponsoring contest. Furthermore, Contestant agrees to waive and release any and all rights, claims and causes of action whatsoever that he or she may have against The World Series of Comedy and other sponsors in connection with the contest.
20. We may, at any time, and at our sole discretion, modify these Rules, with or without notice. Any such modification will be effective immediately. These Rules will be considered our Terms and Conditions of Use. Your continued use of our Service and this Site following any such modification constitutes your acceptance of these modified Terms.
Release Form for The World Series of Comedy
By entering into this contest contestant agrees to authorize The World Series of Comedy to use the following personal information:
My picture – including photographic, motion picture, and video images.
My voice – including sound and video recordings.
I hereby grant to The World Series of Comedy its subsidiaries, licensees, successors and assigns, the right to use, publish, and reproduce, for all purposes, my name, pictures of me in film or video form, sound and video recordings of my voice, and printed and electronic copy of the information described in sections (1) and (2) above in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, and for exhibition, distribution, promotion, advertising, sale, press conferences, meetings, hearings, educational conferences and in brochures and other print media. This permission extends to all languages, media, formats and markets now known or hereafter devised. This permission shall continue forever unless I revoke the permission in writing.
I further grant The World Series of Comedy all right, title, and interest that I may have in all finished pictures, negatives, reproductions, and copies of the original print, and further grant The World Series of Comedy the right to give, sell, transfer, and exhibit the print in copies or thereof, for marketing, communications, or advertising purposes, as it deems fit.
I hereby waive the right to receive any payment from The World Series of Comedy and use of any of the material described above for any of the purposes authorized by this release. I also waive any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated, scanned images and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
I acknowledge that I have read the foregoing and I fully understand the contents.
Be at showroom at least 35 minutes prior to show time.